This post may contain affiliate links, for which we may earn a small commission at no cost to you..
Do you want to know how to get mobile internet in your motorhome, campervan, or caravan? Are you trying to decide whether you require a 4G antenna, a WiFi dongle, or a booster… or maybe you have something else in mind?
Getting reliable internet while on the road can be hit and miss unless you have a reliable system. Numerous options are available, and not all of them will suit you.
WiFi and internet access have become indispensable in modern life. Living in a motorhome or campervan is no different. Researching, blogging, social media, staying in touch, and even smart motorhome equipment necessitate WiFi and internet use.
If you’re wondering how to get internet in your motorhome, caravan or campervan, look no further than the Teltonika RUT950 LTE 4G Router.
What is Teltonika RUT950?
The Teltonika RUT950 LTE 4G Router is a high-performance industrial 4G LTE Wi-Fi router designed as a primary/backup internet source, ensuring a stable internet connection with high data throughput and data redundancy.
It supports 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi and the IEEE 802.11b/g/n standards. It has four Ethernet connections. The LTE modem has a downlink bandwidth of up to 100 Mbps and an uplink bandwidth of up to 50 Mbps.
The router has four 100Mbps Ethernet ports, two external SIM card slots, digital inputs/outputs, and LEDs that show the signal power status. External SMA antenna connectors enable the connection of suitable antennas.
The Teltonika RUT950 is a professional 4G/LTE Dual SIM mobile router with WiFi, Ethernet, and industrial-grade networking capabilities. Quick to deploy, simple to manage, and adaptable to applications in the most demanding market sectors.
- 4G/LTE (Cat 4), 3G, Connectivity
- Automatic switch to an available backup connection
- Wireless Access Point with Hotspot functionality
- Dual SIM with auto-failover, backup WAN and other switching scenarios
- 4x Ethernet interfaces with VLAN functionality
- Compatible with Teltonika Remote Management System
Teltonika RUT950 LTE 4G Router Price
The Teltonika RUT950 LTE 4G Router is currently available for £179.99
How Does Teltonika RUT950 Router Work?
The Teltonika RUT950 is a mobile device that converts 3G, 4G, and LTE cellular signals to WiFi. This mobile broadband router establishes a local WiFi hotspot to provide internet access as an alternative to cable, DSL, and other wired services, which are either unavailable or more expensive than a cellular data plan.
How do WiFi hotspots work?
A WiFi hotspot receives a signal from the nearest service provider and distributes it to all connected devices. A WiFi hotspot transforms the telecommunication signals in our environment into a private WiFi signal.
It functions similarly to any internet-connected device but works with a SIM card. It can be either a 3G/4G or a 5G network. The mobile router produces WiFi signals within a 30-50-foot radius, to which you can connect numerous other devices.
Teltonika RUT950 Router Installation
- Open the SIM holders by depressing the buttons with a SIM needle
- Insert your SIM cards into the SIM holders and slide them back into the Teltonika router
- Attach the two LTE antennas and the two Wifi antennas to the unit
- Connect the power adapter and connect to the power source
- Connect the ethernet cable to the LAN port
- Take your laptop and connect it to the ethernet cable
- In any browser window, type 220.127.116.11 into the URL field to access the router’s web interface.
- Type username: admin and password: admin01
- After logging in, change the password to something memorable
- You’ll find you cannot interact with the web interface until you select a new password
- Next, you’ll come to the configuration wizard
- The configuration wizard helps you set up the router’s operating parameters
- First, go to the Status > Network page
- Check signal strength indicator
- Maximise performance strength by adjusting the antennas or moving the router to another area
Teltonika RUT950 Wifi Coverage
The router can pick up an excellent cellular signal at 50 metres.
How Many Devices Can You Connect with Teltonika RUT950?
The Teltonika RUT950 can support up to 100 wireless devices simultaneously.
RUT950 What’s in the box?
Inside the box of the Teltonika RUT950, the first thing you’ll find is the RMS activation guide detailing how you can add your device to the RMS system (Teltonika Remote Management System). Additionally, there is also the quick start activation guide.
The RUT950 router, of course, along with two WiFi antennas and two LTE antennas, one power adapter and an ethernet cable.
Is Teltonika RUT950 Any Good?
The Teltonika RUT950 is an exceptionally rugged mobile router with impressive features. Good connectivity for up to 100 separate devices, and the router has an excellent range. The four antennas are adjustable, which helps to fine-tune the signal strength. In addition, the router is mobile, so it can also be moved to another location if necessary.
Setting up the router is straightforward and takes a maximum of 15 minutes.
Overall, the RUT950 is an excellent mobile router for your campervan, caravan or motorhome.
Teltonika RUT950 vs RUT955
The RUT955 is the same as the RUT950 except for the addition of GPS/GNSS support and a USB port.
Teltonika RUT950 Alternatives
There are several alternatives to the RUT950 that you might like to consider, depending on where you want to use the router.
For example, if you want a 4G mobile router in your campervan, you could think about a motorhome MiFi device such as the Huawei E5577.
The Huawei is a small unit that fits easily into your pocket. So you could take it wherever you like. You can still connect up to ten other devices to the Huawei, more than enough for the typical family.
Both the Maxview X and the Oyster connect are more robust systems because of their powerful external roof antennas. These systems can pick up network signals that most other mobile routers aren’t capable of receiving.